WHAT DOES IT DO?
If you’re looking to get rid of that annoying “double-chin,” KYBELLA™ could be your answer. KYBELLA™ is a prescription injection used in adults to improve the appearance and profile of moderate to severe fat below the chin (submental fat), also called “double chin.”
The active ingredient in KYBELLA® is synthetic deoxycholic acid. Deoxycholic acid is a naturally occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat. When injected into the fat beneath the chin, KYBELLA® destroys fat cells, resulting in a noticeable reduction in fullness under the chin. Once destroyed, these cells can no longer store or accumulate fat, so further treatment is not expected once you reach your desired aesthetic goal.
FreQuently Asked Questions
WHAT TO EXPECT?
Before starting treatment, your healthcare specialist will examine the area under and around your chin to determine if KYBELLA® is right for you. Then, your specialist will tailor your treatment to the amount of fat under the chin and your aesthetic goals.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS WILL I NEED?
Since everyone’s chin profile is different, the number of treatments varies from patient to patient. Your healthcare specialist will help determine how many treatment sessions you need based on the amount and distribution of your submental fat and your personal treatment goals. Each KYBELLA® treatment session is given at least 1 month apart, and you should not receive more than 2-3 treatments.
WILL I NEED TIME TO RECOVER?
After KYBELLA® treatment, you will likely have some swelling, bruising, or numbness under your chin. Be sure to inform your healthcare professional if you develop an uneven smile, facial muscle weakness, difficulty swallowing or injection site problems such as bruising, hair loss, or open sores (ulcers). Call your healthcare provider if you develop open sores or drainage from the treatment area.
WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS OF KYBELLA®?
Swelling, pain, numbness, redness, and areas of hardness in the treatment area.
These are not all the possible side effects of KYBELLA®. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
KYBELLA® can cause serious side effects, including
- Nerve injury in the jaw (which can cause an uneven smile or facial muscle weakness)
- Trouble swallowing
- Injection site problems including: bruising, hair loss, open sores (ulcers). Call your healthcare provider if you develop open sores or drainage from the treatment area
WHAT SHOULD I TELL MY DOCTOR BEFORE TREATMENT?
- Have had or plan to have surgery on your face, neck, or chin
- Have had cosmetic treatments on your face, neck, or chin
- Have had or have medical conditions in or near the neck area
- Have had or have trouble swallowing
- Have bleeding problems
- Are pregnant or plan to become pregnant (it is not known if KYBELLA® will harm your unborn baby)
- Are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed (it is not known if KYBELLA® passes into your breast milk)
- Are taking any medications, especially blood thinners